Thursday, August 14, 2014

Beyonce a Style Icon?


She said what now?

Is Beyonce a style icon? This was up for debate a few weeks ago and when opinions get to flowing about fashion and Beyonce, I'm sure it can divide a room. There are people who will defend Beyonce, including her fans (me) and say she certainly IS a style icon. Then there are those that will say she doesn't pull her fashion off well or her style is all over the place. Of course everyone has a right to their opinion, and New York Times writer Vanessa Friedman, very boldly shared hers: Beyonce a Legend of Rock, but not Fashion.

However, Beyonce's costume designer begs to differ and so do I (kanye shrug)...




No one should consider my opinion when it comes to Beyonce because honestly, she can do no wrong in my eyes. BUT, I'm able to call her out if I'm not feeling something she's wearing. There are times when I absolutely adore her costumes or street style. Then there are times when I'm like WHET?  

Honestly, how many celebs get it right every single time?  We have all looked at J-Lo, Rihanna, and even Lupita and thought...where did she get that from? The same goes for Beyonce. 

But is Beyonce a style icon? If you ask her costume designer, the answer is yes. If you ask me, I say yes and here's why: (My opinion)

  1. It isn't up to the present generation to determine if anyone is a style icon. Will future generations imitate Beyonce? Will they pull out her looks in 2035 and everyone know...that's so Beyonce. During that time, she will be in her 50s. She has already solidified her icon and legendary status so I have no doubt that my grandchildren will be pulling a "Beyonce". 
  2. Everything she touches, sells out. Let's be real...if Beyonce posted a shirt that was from Topshop for say, $50, I'm pretty sure it will sell out instantly. An icon is someone that affects the masses and has selling power. I would say, she nails that.
  3. She doesn't and has never apologized for her style. Is she a J-Lo when it comes to fashion? Absolutely not! But Beyonce carries her clothes with confidence and has yet to do a complete overhaul of her style, even after being criticized during her Destiny Child days. This to me takes confidence. When you wear your clothes for you, that to me is style!! With the constant pressure of the entertainment and fashion world, she sticks to her signature glamorous, body hugging, and shimmery looks. 



Michael Costello designed many of Beyonce's On the Run tour looks and was quite shocked by the article that was published. Here's what he had to say...

"I was really shocked at the article. Beyoncé is the absolute fashion icon," he told me. "Her style is influential, and she takes chances and doesn't play it safe."

 "it's not just what you wear but how you wear it. And where you're wearing it too. When she wore our dress to the Grammys, we sold 15,000 copies. That is style power."


How's it been to work with one of the most famous ladies on the globe?
"Designing's always been a hard grind. You work so hard, for so long, and sit back hoping and waiting for wonderful things to happen. I feel very blessed that Ty Hunter [Beyoncé's stylist] saw what he saw in me. After dressing Beyoncé, we've found ourselves having to say no to some requests. There's a lot that goes into the creative process of designing for icons and maintaining that exclusiveness for them. They elevate and change the dynamics of your brand."


Let's take a look down memory lane at Bey's best and worst looks...
























What do you think?




No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...