Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Magazine Talk with Blake Lively: Her Desire to Give Back, Needing a Break From Acting, and Ryan Reynolds Favorite Food


Blake Lively has been pretty busy these days. She recently launched her lifestyle website, Preserve which opened to mixed reviews. Some of the reviews thought the website was a little dark and close to gothic, which is a complete departure from someone that everyone looks at as an easy going California girl. People were confused about what the website had to offer, but you'll find that it's a mix of a blog and e-commerce site, with a focus on charitable deeds. 

The actress shares recipes, talks about her philanthropy efforts, and you can purchase anything from dill pickles (yes I said dill pickles) and wallets. It's a little all over the place, but you should check it out to discover some eclectic finds. 



“Doing good” is often looked at with a cynical eye. For good reason. Much of it is a selfish act— it feels good, it sounds good, it can be quite self-congratulatory. While it is personally rewarding, there is an impact to be made when we can step back and acknowledge the truths in the motivation— not only the selfish ones, but the ones bred of a genuine desire to be there for others, others who don’t regularly have the fortunate opportunities that we do each day.

What you read above is an excerpt taken from Blake's website that talks about her efforts of giving back, but not for selfish reason. In addition to managing her website, she took some time to chat with Marie Claire for their September issue.



A few months ago, she worked with Beyonce and Jay-Z to star in a preview for their On the Run tour.  Marie Claire interviewed her while she was in New York to celebrate the one-year anniversary of Gucci's Chime for Change. Founded by Beyonce, Salma Hayek, and Gucci's creative director, Frida Giannini, the campaign helps to raise money and awareness for girls' and women's empowerment. Here's what she had to say about the cause:

"I was so excited, because I knew [Gucci] could help me realize some of the desires I had," says Lively. With other charities, she explains, "you can send them your donation, but it's hard to track the progress of what you've given, so it's hard to stay emotionally invested." Also, a lot of organizations have seemed mostly interested in getting a good photo op with Lively … which is kind of a bummer. "It brought a moment of attention to them," she says. "But I don't want my picture taken. I want to do something."

Here are a few more highlights from the magazine...

On her relationship with Ryan Reynolds: "We've never gone a week without seeing each other. There's no major decision that I make without him. The best part is when we turn off our phones and just talk and hang out. He's my best, best friend. What do you do with your best friend? You do nothing."
On her past claims of wanting 30 kids of her own: "I gotta get started. If I could spit out a litter of kids, I would."
On her new venture, Preserve, an immerse lifestyle e-commerce website: "I went straight from high school to Gossip Girl, and both were very structured, scheduled environments, so I never had freedom to explore and carve my own path. When I finished my show, I wanted to take a break from acting and try what I would have tried if I hadn't acted, and that was this."
On her involvement in the PBS documentary miniseries A Path Appears: "I don't pretend to speak for anyone, but my feeling is that the general consensus in the United States is that [sex trafficking] is elective here--that when women are prostituting themselves, it's their choice. But what you realize when you start talking to these young women is that they're in emotional chains."
On Reynolds' favorite meal: "Honestly, all he wants to eat is hot-fudge sundaes."
Visit Marie Claire to read the full story, which was an excellent read!!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...