Saturday, August 2, 2014

NYC for a Southern Girl?



I'm at a place in my life, where I am in dire need of change! Living in Atlanta for the past 7 1/2 years has been absolutely amazing. I've experienced several careers, met so many different people (in and out of work)--many I still keep in touch with today, and I've enjoyed a lot of late night, early morning partying!!

There are so many things I love about Atlanta and will always love: taking my dog to Piedmont Park, trekking to the top of Stone Mountain, laying out with a blanket at Freedom Park, eating at the many restaurants that the city has to offer...the list is endless.

It really pains me to see so many "illusions" of what people think Atlanta is about, due to what's on television (which is my guilty pleasure). There's so much more to living here than reality television, strip clubs, and the new emerging Hollywood movie sets. Don't get me wrong, Atlanta has claim to those things but there's a lot more to admire about this city as well. I say all that to say that after living so many amazing years here, I'm interested in moving to a bigger city--but only temporary.




Lately my itch to move to Los Angeles or New York has intensified. There's so much that both have to offer to someone like me who is interested in both the fashion and entertainment industry, but I haven't gotten the balls yet to take the plunge. I've read a few articles lately about the "13 Unglamorous Things About Living in New York City" and it put a realistic damper on my excitement.

For someone who has only visited NYC twice, (once in the 5th grade, the other as an unemployed 20 something), I still feel like I haven't had the chance to soak the city in. Here's my idea of what living in NYC has to be like, which is completely different from the article linked above...

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge, so I'm sure any New Yorkers reading this would think I'm delusional. I'm quite fine with that. Let a girl dream!


Energy is Flowing!!
One of my favorite shows to watch is HGTV's Selling New York. There are so many reasons I adore this show, but one selfish reason is to watch the energy on the streets. I find it fascinating that people walk everywhere and there's such a hustle and bustle to get to the next place. This of course is a complete opposite to Atlanta. Instead of everyone walking, we're driving everywhere. (Sigh!)

"These lights will inspire you" - Alicia Keys
There's no skyline like that of NYC!! The tall buildings and monuments that adorn the city, and the pretty lights that illuminate them are amazing. When you're a girl from South Carolina, all you can do is just admire them. Jay-Z and Alicia Keys were right, the lights will inspire you to do BIG, AMAZING things that so many people have done for themselves in such a creative, go-getter place.

Subways and taxis
When you're from a smaller city where subways and taxis are not the predominant means of transportation, it can either be an uncomfortable and unfamiliar experience trying it for the first time; Or it can be something to look forward to. Although I hate driving, I enjoy having the luxury of jumping in my car and going wherever I need to go.

When I visit places and have to take a train, subway, or bus, it's always fun to me because its different and out of my daily, normal habits. I'm sure those that have to do it every day don't see it that way, but at least you don't HAVE to have a car payment or HAVE to search for car insurance (which I'm trying to do now...Ugh!)


Fashion Capital Headquarters

“There’s a buzz, a creative energy in New York City that can’t be found anywhere else in the world. It’s an extraordinarily stimulating place for fashion—I think that’s why so many people choose to be here.”
– Diane von Furstenberg




NYC is fashion's capital!! All of the major publications are located there, and with that--plenty of fashion students flock to the city to attend prestigious fashion schools like the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) and Parsons.

Who can leave out Mercedes Benz Fashion Week? It is the biggest venue for designers to show off their innovative, daring, and forward thinking designs. It's also a time for celebrities to come out and dominate the front rows and for fashion lovers to embark on their own runway shows--known as street style. All the major designers are established there, with some calling New York home--so there's no end to finding the fashion you need.


SEX
Let's be real, Sex and the City skewed a lot of our perceptions of what NYC truly is. Of course we think its a place where everyone can afford Manolo Blahniks, where our girlfriends are just as hot as us, and we're always at the hottest new openings in the city--all while looking fashionably chic. Honestly, just say that SATC has me thinking I will be living like Carrie Bradshaw.

Of course there are plenty other reasons why I'm interested in taking the leap to move to NY, but the article that I linked above (and all it's realistic truths) has many of the reasons why I'm terrified to move there. I guess time will tell.

















No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...